If you don’t know where you want to go, how will you know if you get there? All high level strategic planning begins with taking a good hard look at your values, your purpose and most importantly your vision for your future. This is a journey and your challenge is to get from where you are today to where you want to be in five years.
There will be many paths you can take as you head out on your journey and many opportunities will come your way. They key to arriving safely where you really wanted to go is to have extreme clarity around where it is you really want to go. You don’t have to worry right now about how you will get there just know where you want to get to. Setting goals and assigning daily action items is the largest determining factor of your success or your failure.
Here’s how I do it:
1. I write my vision of what my perfect life will look like five years from today when I get where I want to go.
2. I determine what I need to do first in order to begin to achieve the vision I have. That becomes my One Main Objective for the year.
3. I write down three main goals that, if successfully completed, will insure that I accomplish my one main objective.
4. I write five strategies for each of my three main goals to support the achievement of those goals.
From those five strategies I create my high level activities for each day. They are my action items that I complete and measure daily. Statistics show that what gets measured gets done so it is imperative to measure your daily action items.
Now the fun begins! We can just go out and do what our goal sheet tells us to do! (Follow our daily agenda) If we have put the right strategies in place and are consistently completing our daily action items we can move forward with confident expectations. That’s how I do it. I would love to hear your goal setting process.
Onward & Upward My Friends,
- Productivity Rule #4 – Get A Plan! (lisathornesblog.wordpress.com)
- 5 Keys to Effective Goal Setting (slavicabogdanov.com)
- Defining Your Business Goals (entrepreneur.com)